Potch Historical Buildings

History of Heritage listing in Potchefstroom/Tlokwe Region:

The first listing and database of heritage places in and surrounding areas of Potchefstroom was done in 1984 by Arrie Kuijers  for his Master Degree in  Art History. He focuses mainly on the Built Environment of Potchefstroom.

The Old Simon van der Stel Foundation /Heritage Potchefstroom (2006) started about 30 years ago listing also the build environment and its surrounding areas.

The first Heritage Lekgotla was held in 2003 at the museum to address the urgent need for Provincial and Local authorities to establish a formal listing of all heritage sites in this region. The museum and Heritage Potchefstroom embark on a mission to locate and documented some of the Heritage places for example at Machavie stad. They also invited Tlokwe Heritage Foundation to come aboard.

Provincial SAHRAs was established later the PHRAS was formed. The heritage practitioner and the museums in this region took it upon themselves to get communities involved to take ownership of the heritage sites. In 2008 the Kenneth Kaunda District Municipality took it upon themselves to compile a list of heritage sites. Due to lack of skilled local heritage practitioners and museum personnel that was not part of this process many of the sites were not mentioned.

To mention a few example was the Finding place of the “Oldest person” The Boskop scull’ which is about 20 000 years old at Kolonie farm, near Potchefstroom in 1913 by the farmer Piet Botha. It was the first palaeontology finding in the North West before the Taung Child in the 1920 by Professor Tobias. The  Boskop scull is in essence the start of the South African Sciences of palaeontology. Original scull is residing at PE Museum and a replica version is at the Potchefstroom Museum

The other example is the Hut Caves near Frederikstad which are also a National Monument of where about 230 Setswana family  clans could hide away from Mzilikatze war parties. About 40 huts are still remaining in the big gave, with smaller huts to the back. There is also an underground water resource.

Heritage is a “magic” word and layered by its people that took part in all its essence through time. Important that grew up in a town that make their mark in the world such as to name a few-Josie Palmer/Mphana, Zuleikha Mayat as woman that define borders in time and space.

There are a lot of places currently under threat of new developments in this region like Goudkoppies near Klerksdorp. Matlotsana, Potchefstroom the Built Environment and River system.

The heritage list is not as yet audit and finished. A place as yet to be mentioned is the following to name a few:

Conservation of Potchefstroom as historical landscape and spatial sites

The Mooi Rivier system, from Gerrit Minnebron and its animal life as at first describe by Thomas Ayres in 1860 in his drawings and documents.

Early Setswana settlements and The Boskop scull.

The early inhabitants of Tlokwe Region mention only in the writings of Dr Moletsana in 1920 on the Chieftain Monshiwa that brought the Setswana clans pride back after the war paths of Mzilikatse.

It is a project of Heritage Potchefstroom and the museum to capture information and auditing the current info to establish a ground for future research into the heritage of this region. All Heritage Sites and Structures are protected by the National Heritage Act (No 25 of 1999) Bylaw 2009.

 
 

Historical Buildings

 

Place

 

Description

Teachers’ Training College,ca.1929

 

Northwest University Hoffman Street II

Three buildings, which constitute a formal unity around a traffic cycle. These buildings have all been built according to the so-called Traditional Style, in which there is a striving for monumentality without using the conventional Classicist formality. The essence of Classicism was achieved visually by means of the form of the structure and other stylised elements.

The portico of eight giant columns lends monumentality to the Main Building. Opened on 23 April 1919, it was initially offered space in wood and corrugated iron buildings on the grounds of the High School for Boys. In 1920 the College was transferred in its entirety to the former Cantonments, and in 1923 the move was made to the present site in President Street. In one such complex of corrugated iron buildings the male students were accommodated – in 1932 they dubbed their residence “Radium Temples”.

Female students have lived in Oakdene (the extended residence of former State President MW Pretorius) since 1925. Permanent buildings of the College were built in the subsequent years i.e. Van Heerden House in Hoffman Street, 1929 - Barnard House and a central dining/recreation hall, 1949. The main building and Ratau, Lebone and Mea Mater were occupied in 1954.  Today part of the NWU Campus.

x

x

 

x

 

 

Oak Avenue,ca.1910

 

The longest oak avenue in Southern Africa, Potchefstroom Oak Avenue of 6.48km comprises Chris Hani Drive, Kock St, Dr Beyers Naudé Ave, Retief St, Peter Mokaba, Steve Biko and Calderbank Avenues.  It stretches from the Agricultural Centre to the Lakeside Resort.

The Town Council of Potchefstroom planted the trees following a decision in 1910. A stone beacon with bronze plaque was erected on the corner of Lombard and Kruger Street after the avenue was declared a national monument in 1975. Beacon constructed with stones from the old North Bridge.

x

x

x

 

 

 

 

Ikageng Guesthouse (House of Traditional Leaders),ca.1960-1985

Used by former homeland / traditional leaders such as Lucas Mangope, Dr. Phatudi, TK Mopedi, Wessels Mota, and Kaizer Matanzima to address their respective subjects who lived in Ikageng.

Residents were informed about the developments in the homelands as well as to continually instil cultural awareness on them.

x

x

 

x

x

 

Boiki Tlhapi Memorial Clinic Tlokwe,ca.1986

Memorial clinic in honour of an anti-apartheid political activist who disappeared without trace in 1986 following the Ikageng Uprisings.

                                                                

x

x

 

 

x

 

Ikageng Old Post Office Site of 1976 First shooting

Site of the first fatal shooting in Ikageng during the Soweto Uprising 1976

x

x

 

 

x

 

Tlokwe Memorial Park,ca.2009

A Memorial Park under construction for the local activists who died during the liberation struggle for. Construction finished in 2009. Research on local activist currently by the Tlokwe Heritage Foundation

x

x

 

 

x

 

Makweteng/ Klopperville,

Ca.1904-1957

 

Site of forced removals from an area in Potchefstroom designated white. Relocated to Ikageng Location in 1958. The story of Makweteng/Klopperville was research in 2006 by the partnership of the Museum and Tlokwe Heritage Foundation dr. Fanie van Rensburg.

An Exhibition on Makweteng was opened by Prof Lekghele in the Ikageng Library. The exhibition was exhibited at the Museum, NWU and Germany, Matlosana Train Museum. The research is going on by the partnership.

Sir Isac Letsiele  research project is currently a project on local stories of the people of Ikageng. Influential professional people are part of this project.

International partnership and research project with local schools is the Kalmar Museum (Swedish) and Cultural promotion (Local Museum) on Timeline history.

x

x

 

 

x

 

Monyemore Resort,ca.1985

 

Monyemore Resort is a brainchild of the Ikageng Village Council Project, which was started in 1985.

The main objective was to encourage the local youth to participate in various sports activities, so as to stay away from crime, drugs etc. However, before the construction of the Resort, the site was used as a meeting place for political gatherings especially during the Ikageng uprisings.

It also continued to be used as a meeting place for COSAS.

 

x

 

 

x

 

Ikageng Old Cemetery (Reburials),

ca. 1950-1958

Mohadin Burial site,

ca.1950-1958

 

Situated in the Industrial area of Ikageng Location. It was established in 1958 when 907 remains of the black people buried in Makweteng cemetery were exhumed and reburied at the site. The original site in Makweteng was the second cemetery for use by blacks, Indians, Chinese, and coloured people.

The cemetery is in the vicinity of the present Potchefstroom Hospital. In 1906 the cemetery was ‘closed’ and in 1914 the Town Council felt that: “….the whole of the cemetery, which is under the care of the natives in the location, in such disreputable condition that the Council desire, if possible, to have the same removed”.

In 1950 the remains of 907 blacks were reburied at Ikageng cemetery. Monument was erected by the City Council in 1958. The cemetery is still in use and quite often visited by relatives.

Photo documentation was done by the Cultural Historian of the museum. The condition of the cemetery is in dire straight to be enclosed as a memorial place of remembrance. The gravesites are vandalized.

Mohadin Burial site are enclosed and have a security guard. With permission a few photographs was taken for documentation.

x

x

 

 

X

 

South African National Artillery Memorial, ca.

Memorial at military base for those who died during the WW II     (1939-1945)

This is the South African National Memorial Site for all Artillery Soldiers who died in combat. It was vandalized 4 years ago, but it’s enclosed by electric fencing. Future development for a museum is in the planning stages. 

x

x

x

x

x

x

Buffelsdoorn Farmstead, ca

Information will follow soon!.

         

 

Calderbank Building,

ca.1930

Built in 1930. Used to be a garage. Named after former Mayor of Potchefstroom & businessman

x

x

 

x

 

 

Dutch Reformed Mother Church Potchefstroom,

ca.1895

The Dutch Reformed Church, ”Moeder Gemeente” was build in 1894-1895.It was build on the design of the master builder Wocke. But it was finished with the pastoral house by one of Potchefstroom first architects William Gaisford. The church design has Gothic stylistic elements.

President Paul Kruger laid the foundation stone on 13 Feb 1894.It was a temporary hospital in the Anglo Boer War. It was part of the 1914 Rebellion. The Reverend Beyers Naudé was a reverend at this church before his own resistance against the political system.

The church was nearly devasted by a fire on the 13 March 2007. The restoration of the church was finished in 2009.

x

x

 

x

x

x

Feeding and Family Ecology UP

Building with pitched corrugated iron roof

x

x

 

x

 

 

Old Reformed Church of Africa, ca.1867.

 A Simple cross architectural design. It was the state church of the ZAR and first church north of the Vaal River. M W Pretorius was inaugurated as president on the 6 Jan 1857 by Reverend Dirk van der Hoff.

The church services in the beginning were for the “Hervormde and Dutch congregation members. During the First war of Independence (1880-1881) the church was used by the Boer soldiers. In 1859 the church was too small and funds were collected to enlarge the church.

The early construction methods were a reed ceiling, cow dung floor. The windows and walls were measured out by ox straps and are not straight in alignment.

x

x

 

x

x

x

Krugerskraal.

ca.1920 

Battle of Tygerfontein

7 Aug 1900

R 53 to Parys, Venters-kroon road

Kugerskraal was the farm residence of dr Jacob Daniel du Toit. He has resided on the farm from 1923 where he extensively worked with the Bible translation from Greek, Hebrew to Afrikaans.

The Bible was published in 1933. His daughter Wilhelmiena was strike by lightning in the house Des 1920, seven weeks after the death of his youngest son François that died of meningitis at the Totius house museum. His personal written account on these events was published in the form of poetry in “Passie blomme”.

Many iron and stone age Tswana/Sotho archaeology tools were find of early settlements on this farm. It is also part of the Vredefort Dome World Heritage site Cultural Conservancy 

The Battle of Tygerfontein was fought on the 7 Aug 1900.It was the war between General De Wet and Lord Methuen. Potchefstroom was occupied by the British troops. There were a lot of British soldier settlements along the Vaal River. General De Wet sneak on several occasion through these lines of defence.

The Vensterkroon hills were defended by the rearguard of De Wet. The battle site form part of the Vredefort Dome World Heritage site end Anglo Boer route of the North West province. Significance: Cultural, Historical, Natural Hist, Political, Military History Status                                                                                                           

x

x

x

x

x

x

M W Pretorius’s Grave,ca.1901

Old Cemetery cannons

Grave of M. W. Pretorius First President of ZAR, period (1857-1859). He was also president of the Free state from 1859-1871. Potchefstroom was the capital town of the ZAR, and then moved to Pretoria in 1860. The ZAR was first occupied by England and the Cape Colony Government in 1877.

The first shots of the War of Independence started in Potchefstroom due to a non payment of taxes by a farmer Piet Bezuidenhout. The president was awakened in the cold nocturnal hours by British soldiers and questioned for a few hours.

This privation so severely tired the system of the 81-years old man, that after an illness of a week he died on 19th May 1901. Next to his grave is historical cannons, The Cemetery is enclosed by a fence.

x

x

 

x

x

x

Machaviestad

Site of forced removals of the Modiboa clan of the Ba-Rolong in 1971. Relocated to Rooigrond in Mafikeng. The Ba-Rolong people relocated back to their ancestral home at  Machaviestad.

x

x

x

 

x

 

Mooi River Dutch Reformed Church,ca.1917

Classic Roman building, a. 1918-1919 after breaking away from the Mother Church 1917.This break away was due to the political views of the reverend ML Fick (Moeder Gemeente)  who sympathized with the Rebellion of 1914 against the

Government. The Mooi River church is also named the “Sappe” church due to Jan Smuts view points towards World War 1 and South Africans participation   for England.

x

x

 

x

x

x

Old Fire Station Tlokwe,ca.1913

 

Built 1913 near the Old Power Station to house a fire engine, later used as Rugby Club HQ. Currently occupied by the Mooi River Rotary Club.

The building with the Power house and later addition of the Horsfall Mill form the first industrial centre of Potchefstroom. The road to Klerksdorp when pass these buildings.

x

x

 

x

x

 

Oudedorp, ca.1838 Potchefstroom

First Pioneer (Voortrekker) settlement established 1838 with old field wall, fruit trees, cemetery and old buildings. Traditional or Rural Architecture of the Pioneer time.

Early settlement house of the Setswana and Pioneer house building construction methods and material usage was the same.

x

x

x

x

 

 

Poortman’s House,ca.1860

Built 1860. The house belonged to B Poortman, Medical Practitioner and Military Doctor during the Anglo-Boer war 1880-1881.

Poortman's Stomach and Liver Tonic was a popular medicine brand.

x

x

 

x

x

x

Potchefstroom Centenary,

ca.1838 Monument

Commemorates the town's centenary, ca.1938. It is situated on the old Nieuwe Market square  of town. The Monument and bronze relief panels were designed by Coert Steynberg.

The monument was vandalized in 2006 and one bronze relief was stolen. The other one was removed by Cultural Promotion for safety and to construct a new epoxy version of the stolen panel.

Status: Cultural, Historical, Architectural as a monument.

x

x

 

 

 

 

Sotho Tswana Villages

Vredefort Dome World Heritage Site

Sotho and Tswana stonewalled settlements 19th century. It is alleged that Mzilikazi lived in the area. Much of these settlements are on higher ground and hill tops built for safety against the war parties of Mzilikazi.

It is documented for the heritage assessment study of the Dome. It is archeologically very sensitive areas or sites for research, public visits are restricted due to its not as  yet fully research by archaeologists .

x

x

x

x

x

x

South School

Inception 30 July 1890 first at the WDP House on the corner of Jeugd and Church street. The school for poor children of the southern part of town. The school reopened in 1901 by the British occupiers and named the South school with English as instruction language.

The current school buildings are on the corner Jeugd, Nieuwe and Van Riebeeck street. Cornerstone laid by Jan Smuts in 1909 and from 1927 the school was renamed Suidskool and in 1955 the name changed to ML Fick Laerskool. The significance of the late Edwardian stylistic buildings is quite unique.  

x

x

 

x

x

x

St Louis Bertrand Potchefstroom,ca.1923

Combined Catholic mission and school opened in 1923 and was closed 1962 under apartheid and relocated to Ikageng. The new building came into being in 1967

x

x

 

x

x

 

Commanding Officers House

Witrand Hospital Superintend house,ca.1913

Formerly house of the Commanding Officer of British Garrison in Potchefstroom, Also known as the “Generals House”. Colonel SHC Monro was the first commanding officer of the garrison and the first resident of the house. Later the Witrand Care & Rehab Centre Superintendent House.

It was a big erven with a clay tennis court and bird cage. The whole erven was enclosed by a steel fencing used in every British Military camp. This house is the last linkage to early military history of Potchefstroom.

Declared as a National Monument in 1982.Currently there are new interested to use the house as a military museum, but it’s still in the planning phase of the project.

x

x

 

x

x

x

Vyfhoek Concentration Camp,ca.1900-1903

Concentration camp cemetery was converted into a memorial park. The first concentration camp site was near the High School for Boys ,it was near the Railway station and main water furrow and was approximately 22 hectars.

The section one was divided into 4 sections, Two wide roads crosses in the middle of the camp. At this crossing were the offices, packing houses, hospital tents, and detension barracks. The out rim of the Camp housed the latrines, there were no washing facilities. The military manage these camps, but after 1901 it was under

Civilian management. The first Camp manager was Mr Jacobs Swart.  The second camp moved to Vyfhoek in September 1901. It was laid out in the same pattern as the first one, and was 15 hectares.

The cemetery was where the memorial site is today. The official listing of deaths on the plaque is 967 children, 117, woman, 57, men. At the end of the war there were about 4 957 people in the camp. The camp closed down in 1903.The memorial was unveiled on the 16 Dec 1918 by Mrs Nonnie de la Rey.

The Black Concentration Camp  suggested location was also near the Mooi River

These peoples camp conditions where horrific and they were left to starve by the British Military occupation. No official death register was compiled

x

x

 

x

x

x

Ga-Matlawe Hall 

It used to be the only Community Hall in Ikageng Location and the only one in the Western Transvaal.  

It hosted events such as arts, music, and political gatherings used to be held there. It was also recreational facility where indoor games like chess and table tennis were played.

x

x

 

x

x

 

M W Pretorius House,ca.1868

 The MW Pretorius House museum is situated on Portion 4 of ERF NO 2529, Potchefstroom, measuring 1, 3230 hectares.  The buildings on the site included the Main residence, Wagon house and stables, Smithy, Additional buildings are the Toilets and Storeroom.

The house consists of cliff rooms, which include the kitchen with its unique “bakoven”, Christie’s room, living room, and main bedroom. The buildings are of traditional Cape style with white plaster and traditional thatched roof.  The huge Oak trees planted by the President.

Alterations done from time to time. Restoration in 1978 Today it is a house museum, and a tangible memory of President MW Pretorius and Potchefstroom was the capital of the Zuid Afrikaanse Republic.

x

x

x

x

x

x

Ikageng Gate,ca.1970

Ikageng Township,

ca.1954

 

A gate was erected on the main entrance to Ikageng Location by the apartheid government. In the 1970s the gate was painted with animals’ pictures that ironically depicted the residents of Ikageng as animals probably confined in the Zoo. Visitors were expected to apply for and produce a permit to and for the Location. The permits also served as proof of one’s employment status.

The wall was destroyed as it was seen as an insult to the Ikageng community. 5 Feb 1954 permission was given by the City Council to establish the new Township of Ikageng. The Setswana name means to “Build yourself. The first house sold in the township was Site n0 2 by Oliver Cindi for L 290(pounds).

Today the centre of Ikageng is still vibrant with names still remaining as Queenstown. Many new suburbs and informal settlements is now part of Ikageng such as Sarafina, Sonderwater, and Skierlik.“Di Potche” is a sweet biscuit that is made by the local community woman and sold as an extra income into many households. It is also well-known Nationally by South Africans

x

x

 

x

x

x

Old First  Prison,ca.1870

Old  Fourth Prison,ca.1898 (Tlokwe Youth Centre)

The First Old Prison Buildings at Potchefstroom was quite damaged during the early skirmish between Lt-Col RWC Winslow and Piet Cronje. 66 British soldiers occupied the first prison and neighbouring buildings, it was a big strategic error to try and link the Fort to the Government seat by the British High Command.

The Boers protected the State Press and Borrius. On the 16 Dec 1880 the shots was fired between the war parties. Major Clarke handed himself over to the Boer forces, but Winslow carried on in the Fort till March 1881, just before peace two weeks later.

The second prison was damaged as the first one. The third was occupied by British troops during the   First War of Independence by the Boers as well. The forth prison was  built on the current site, before the outbreak of the Anglo Boer war (1899-1903).It was used as a prison and later as the HQ of the Potchefstroom Commando till the 1998.  

The site is currently in the process of being used as a Youth Centre.

x

x

 

x

x

x

Ikageng Men’s Hostel,ca.1958

The site was the only hostel that accommodated migrant workers who were employed within the mining industry in the area. The migrant workers would come from Taung, Pampierstad and other homelands.

Typical of mine compounds and hostels for migrant workers, visitors were supposed to apply for permits to enter the premises. No families and woman residents were allowed. In the 1960 regular visits by police, ”blockmanne” was to keep the residents in place.

The hostel was attacked and vandalised by township residents following rumours/allegation that the Inkatha Freedom Party was using it as a base in the late 1985 to 1992. The lingering Hostel syndrome is still a Township legacy today of overcrowding residence for families, due to the shortage of homes.

x

x

 

x

x

x

The Roets House,ca.1926

 

 The Roets House,61 Tom / Steve Biko Avenue was built ca. 1926 by Jan van der Walt so that his son, Peter could stay at home while studying at the University. Later Mr. Hennie, Principal of Mooi River Laerskool, occupied the house. The house in the style of architect Gerard Moerdijk.

The architectural style boasts four convex/concave gables and ionic columns on the eastern side, typical of the 1920.

x

x

 

x

 

 

Miss Klopper House

The home of the parents of Oom Stoffel Klopper. In later years their two daughters, Linah and Bertha lived here. The other brother, Oom Willem Klopper (Superintendent of the former Willem Klopperville or Makweteng) later built another home on this burger erven.

In 1901, during the Anglo-Boer War, the house was commandeered for use by Lord Roberts (born in India in 1832), on his way to Pretoria. The Old shop directly North of the house was transformed into British headquarters.

By order of Lord Roberts, the first pride of Potchefstroom was planted in front of the headquarters. When this street was removed 92 years later, in November 1993, by the Technical Department of PU for CHE because of sewage problems, it resulted in great dissatisfaction amongst some residents.

x

x

 

x

x

x

Potchefstroom Dam, ca. 1908 

Constructed after 1908 to supply irrigation water to the Mooibank settlement and the Experimental Farm (later Agricultural College Potchefstroom), and serve as a recreational resort. 

The Dam wall curved away from the water and people thought it would not last long. It was featured in the Guinness Book of Records.

x

x

x

x

 

 

Main Library Main Museum

Ca.19

The Library-Museum Complex was opened in 1982. The Museum comprises of three Art Halls, a Cultural History Hall & Offices, Reference Library/Archives. It is the biggest museum in the North West and serve and assist other smaller museums in the province, It also and incorporates the Three house museums, Old Museum.

The first museum foundation was founded in 1878 in Potchefstroom. The museum opens its door on the 1 Dec 1961.It will turn 50 in 2011. The library reading room was first publishing in the Transvaal Argus of 1867. In the 1880 the Library was situated on Kruger and Wolmarans street.

During the Anglo- Boer war years the Library closed down. In 1909 the Carnegie foundation donated money  in the amount L 12 175 for the establishment of the Library. Today the Carnegie foundation name is still the building next to the City hall. It was designed by NT Cowin & EM Powers, Pretoria.

The new library open its doors in 1982 with various satellite libraries in Ikageng, Mohadin,  Promosa

x

x

 

x

x

 

The Magistrate’s Residence, ca.

1905 

Shortly after the Anglo-Boer War, an “official residence” was built for the local magistrate at the corner of Kruger (then Milner) and Lombard Streets. At the same time the main building of the adjacent Potchefstroom College for Boys was built.

The magistrate’s house, also known as the Residence, is unadorned and reveals the rigid lines of the Edwardian government building. A dormer window above the entrance hall gives prominence to the hipped roof with jerkin heads and chimneys.

The simple wooden veranda railings are characteristic of this type of residence, and are unusual in Potchefstroom.

x

x

 

x

x

 

Potchefstroom College For Boys ,ca.1904 

The main building is Flemish in character, with five linear gables and ten prominent chimneys. The latter became a casualty of the renovation processes that took place at some stages.

These buildings were designed by Bevan and Eagle of the Colonial Department of Public Works, and were built in 1904, thus, the first Milner School to have a permanent building. Hostels were built on the school ground in 1909.

It was a result of Milner’s necessary Education Act for state controlled education policy. Many “Old Boys” took part in various military campaigns. This  legacy could be seen in Boys Highs own museum,

x

x

 

x

 

x

Mosque Potchefstroom.

Ca.1892-1925.

The first small two buildings that service as Mosque, the one were situated in Owenslaan. The first Imam was appointed in 1892 for the Indian community. The current Mosque is built on the old Owenslaan building site in the CBD; it was erected in 1925 to accommodate the Indian traders in town, especially those with businesses in Nelson Mandela Drive Street.

Recent renovation of the mosque accentuates its distinctive charm. It is the only link remaining with a vibrant past of the early trading days and settlement of the town’s economical history. Many of the shops were demolished and many of the traders have to move to the new Indian Oriental Bazaar in the 1970.

x

x

 

x

x

 

Potchefstroom Girls High School.ca.1914 

The main building of the Potchefstroom Girls High School was inaugurated in 1914. The school was founded in 1905 when the Central School was divided into separate High School for boys and girls.

x

x

 

x

x

 

Heimat.ca.1925

University of the North West

 

33.4296 hectares in extent, it is a single storey building with pitched corrugated iron roof. Bricks are covered with a rough cast painted plaster with a back and front veranda. The front façade has two main gables with a small decorative gable above the main entrance and 6 similar arches, three on both sides of a small decorative gable at the main entrance.

In fact, the tight budget forced Moerdijk to use mass-produced concrete columns, balustrades, window frames and other building components to create this elegant structure.  In 1925 the Council of PU for CHE decided to build a residence to accommodate the growing number of students. A double-storey house in the Neo Cape Dutch style was built in 1926.

It was designed by Gerard Moerdijk. It was decided that it would be called ‘Ons Huis’ (Our Home). When the students occupied it, however, it was called the “Klimop” (Creeper). The students promptly dubbed it “Heimat” – and thus it remained, even after the building was re-allocated for academic purposes in 1980. Proclaimed 1984.

x

x

 

x

 

 

Gereformeerde Mother Church, ca. 1867

 

Situated in Maury Avenue opposite the Standard Bank, in Potchefstroom. First congregation of this church was founded in 1863 and the first church building was consecrated in 1867. In 1897, a second building to the North of the existing one was occupied.

The latter was demolished in 1959 after erection of the present church. A bronze plate was attached to the original small church in 1982. It is the oldest Gereformeerde Church building in the country. 

The building is of simple architectural design with a singular back door, front double door and wooden casement windows that are pointed & arch-shaped. The floor resembles a dung floor; ceiling is made of reeds and mud, as well as 6 buttresses around the church.

The church was designed by a theological student Piet Smit.

x

x

 

x

 

 

African Methodist Episcopal Church.ca.1960 

Original name was St. Michael and together with rectory were on the land that was later declared as ‘whites only’ land. Consequently, the building and its rectory were demolished following the enforcement of the Group Areas Act and the church was given a site on the area demarcated for settlement of black people – later to be known as townships. This place was Ikageng township.

In 1956, the parishioners embarked on Fund Raising Projects to raise money to build the church. The building was completed and in 1960 the church was dedicated. As a number of parishioners grew; and the church was extended between 1982 and 1983

x

x

 

x

x

 

Basupi Higher Primary School 

Basupi Higher Primary School is the first school to be built in Ikageng Location. It was a learning haven for pupils of Tshepo Primary School, previously Bantu Primary School of Makweteng where black people were forcefully removed and relocated at Ikageng.

The school is famous for its excellence in sports, Notably, soccer and choral music. The school hall was also used by the Roman Catholic Church for its church services. That was during the time when the church building was under construction.

x

x

 

x

 

 

Kohinoor Cinema.

Ca.1950

Kohinoor Cinema is situated along Walter Sisulu Avenue, in Makweteng, presently known as Mieder Park. It was built in the early 1950s. This is where the community used to go and watch movies in the 50s, 60s and 70s.

It was also used for dancing competitions, Notably, Ballroom dancing, and weddings. One of the most memorable events to take place on the site is music shows where Jazz performers such as the Twist Rovers, Spokes Mashiane and other groups from Johannesburg used to entertain audiences.

x

x

 

x

 

 

Old

Powder Magazine,

ca.1854

It is a stone building measuring 38 Morgen 304 square roads, held under Certificate of Registered Title 6772 / 1933, dated 29 August 1933.It was declared a heritage site in 1969.

It is one of the oldest existing buildings in Potchefstroom. The powder house was almost certainly in use in 1857, but permission for its erection was granted in 1854.It played a prominent role in both Anglo-Boer Wars. 1881, and 1899-1902.

x

x

 

x

x

x

Methodist Church,ca.1904

It is an Edwardian variation building on a Victorian theme. It is the most direct and only concrete link between early ecclesiastical life and the first English settlers in Potchefstroom.

The original red brick building was painted white in the course of time. The entrance has a heavy concrete frame, with integrated buttresses, and narrow lancet windows and a decorative original arch round off the façade.  The church was originally known as the Wesleyan (Now Methodist) Church. By 1904 the congregation had obtained the site in Lombard Street and erected a wood and tin building there.

On 8 October 1905 Lord Selborne laid the cornerstone of the present church building. Architects, John Henry and Albert Edwin Till of Kroonstad, paid special attention to the façade and the main entrance as well as the colour and textual qualities of building materials used.

The building was a replacement of the building of the first Wesleyan church in Church Street, which was started in 1872. It was blown over during a violent thunderstorm before completion. Its consecration took place in 1875. This first church building was used as a hospital during the war of 1880-81

x

x

 

x

 

 

Mohadin Township,

ca.1964

“It is only in adulthood that I realise how enriching it was too lived among so many different linguistic and racial groups. In an area measuring about one kilometre. One could come across Chinese, coloureds, Afrikaners, English, Malay and Africans.

As for Indians living in between the white areas and Makweteng, we could represent perhaps a good slice of the Indian sub-continent. There were the Muslims, who spoke Urdu, or Guajarati or Memom. There were some 30 Indian shops alongside King Edward Street.”( Zeiikha Mayat, 1996, p.80).

Mohadin Location was established in 1964 as a result of the countrywide forced removals and those forcefully removed from the old location.

x

x

 

x

x

x

 Promosa Township

ca.1964

Klopperville and Makweteng the “Old Lokasie” was founded in 1904. There is a few historical remnants left of buildings.

The historical memory still remains in generations. The memory of the people was captured in a research project and exhibition in 2007. It was a partnership between the Museum, community and Tlokwe Heritage Foundation. Promos Location was established in 1964 as a result of the countrywide forced removals. 

 

 

x

 

 

x

 

 

 

x

 

 

x

 

 

x

Voortrekker Centenary Monument,

ca.1938 

The Voortrekker Centenary Monument cairn was erected in 1938 during the visit of the Hendrik Potgieter wagon to Potchefstroom. Representatives of the mother congregations of the three Afrikaans churches laid the four cornerstones.

The inhabitants of Potchefstroom completed the store pile. It is situated on the last remaining church square site, Hervormde Church.

x

x

 

x

 

 

Potchefstroom University for Christian Higher Education,

ca.1905 

It is a double-storey building with lecture halls, offices and the Library. The establishment of the building can be traced back to the establishment of the Theological Seminary of the Reformed (Gereformeerde) Church at Burgersdorp in 1869, and then more specifically the moving of the school to Potchefstroom in 1905.

It was separated from the Theological College and became a University College and attained full University status on 17 March 1951. At the beginning of 1921 a process was set in motion to provide the University with permanent buildings. Wynand Louw, the first Afrikaans-speaking architect in South Africa and the designer of the Mooi River Dutch Reformed Church (12 years before) did the design. Cornerstone was laid on 4 August 1930.

In 1949 a fire broke out in the Library and destroyed practically the entire collection. Two years later a start was made with a new Library building.

x

x

x

x

x

x

Synagogue

Potchefstroom, ca.1897-1920 

After the Anglo - Boer War, the Jewish community in Potchefstroom increased greatly, and the need arose for a place of worship and education.  Consequently, the synagogue was laid in 1920 and replaced the 1st synagogue built in 1897 in Du Plooy Street. A hall was added in 1930.

The building had a gallery, a plank floor and a profile steel ceiling, but it is the exterior, which draws attention. There is a convex portico with ionic columns between square corner towers, which have corbelled ledges. Various shades of colour were subtly applied to vivify the façade.

The liturgical area of this building is supplemented by a school area on the North side, the Louis Klivjansky Hebrew School. A Hall has been added to the Synagogue and the cornerstone of the hall is dated 17 September 1930”.   

x

x

 

x

 

 

Green Point

Potchefstroom,

Ca.1903-1914 

Green Point was situated in the area surrounded by Rissik, Molen, Von Wielligh and Tom Street. The name was probably derived from the lush vegetation of the marshy area, which was regularly swamped by heavy rains. In 1903 the S.A. Constabulary-hospital was established here.

It consisted of few wooden and galvanised-iron buildings and tents. The hospital closed when the British troops evacuated in 1914. In time, the name Green Point also fell into disuse. In the 1930s however, an Indian café with the name ‘Green Point Café’ still existed on the corner of Tom and Von Wielligh Street.

A few homes could be found on the block, including that of the rector of the PU for CHE, Prof. F. Postma. In 1910 George Chapart, one of the first importers of motorcars in South Africa and the first owner of a garage for motorcars in Potchefstroom, resided in Green Point in Molen Street.

x

x

x

x

x

x

Theological School Complex,

Ca.1905 

The old Theological School complex in Molen Street is both a symbol of the training of the Reformed Church (Gereformeerde Kerk) and of teaching through the medium of Afrikaans at primary, secondary and tertiary level, the latter because both the Mooi River Primary School, Gymnasium High school (probably the first in the country which offered teaching in Afrikaans rather than in Dutch) and the PU for CHE grew from this Theological School.

The Reformed Church of South Africa was established on 11 February 1859 at Rustenburg. Because of a shortage of ministers it was decided to establish a Theological School at Burgersdorp in 1869. In 1879 a Department of literature was added to the school in order to provide for higher education.

The Free Christian School (Vrye Christelike School) was established 7 years later and from this grew the Preparatory School (Voorbereidende Skool), where candidates were prepared for theological studies. In 1905 the Theological School together with its sub-divisions was transferred to Potchefstroom. Dr. Jacob Daniel du Toit (Totius) who was a minister in Potchefstroom at that stage.

x

x

x

x

x

x

Bennie Pienaar Hall

NWU,ca.1949

This Recreation and Dining Hall was inaugurated in 1949. It was named after Senator Ben Pienaar. Together with Bernard House the building echoes the style and appearance of the older Von Heerden House and thereby a feeling of unity is recreated amongst the three buildings.

x

x

 

x

 

 

Piet Malan House

57 Tom Street was the first residence to be erected on the Bult, at the end of the 19th Century. Except for one house in Tom Street, the entire block belonged to Oom Piet.

There were No. other houses in the vicinity. The entire built area was served by water furrows, each resident having a specific time to irrigate. Mr. Malan and his father worked at the Rocher Mill (part of the proposed Mill route) at North Bridge. During the Anglo-Boer War the house was used as blockhouse and severely damaged. The PU for CHE later obtained the house, fenced it in and maintains it.  

x

x

 

x

x

x

Carnegie Library

/World War 1  Memorial,

ca.1910 

The building has a veranda; the door made of glasses which 300mm x 200mm long. It is of classic style with double with storied structure. The façade is divided into 2 parts by imposing clock tower.

The old Carnegie Library is named after Andrew Carnegie a philanthropist businessman. It was established in 1909, and from 1910 functioned from a room in the Town Hall. The Library building was completed in 1914.

The portico and gable shapes are derived from those of the adjacent town hall so that the two buildings have similar appearance. It currently serves as a liaison office for the Town Council.

x

x

 

x

x

x

 

Potchefstroom Gymnasium,ca.1915

 

In 1915, the preparatory school (Potchefstroom Gymnasium) became a government school. In 1916, Afrikaans replaced Dutch as the educating medium and Gymnasium became the 1st Afrikaans medium high school in the country.

A new school building was erected in 1917 on land obtained from the theological school. The Afrikaans Primary School in President Pretorius St evolved from Gymnasium in 1927

 

x

 

x

 

 

x

 

 

Goetz-Fleishack House,ca.1857

It is the only existing example of an early townhouse, ”Dorpshuis” built around  Nieuwe Market Square – the other was the old Hervormde parsonage, demolished in 1974. It serves as concrete evidence of the lifestyle of the first wealthy civilians in the Z.A.R. The site used to be a private residence of magistrate A.M. Goetz during the First War of Independence (1880-1881).

His son in law, Albert Reinholdt Fleishack bought the house and residing with his family there. Fleishack was State Attorney of the ZAR during the Jameson Raid before the outbreak of the Anglo Boer War (1899-1903).

Mr Fleishack was a friend to Chandi. Interesting correspondence and law matters were discuss through letter writing between the two gentlemen. (Documents residing at the University Law Archives) The Fleishack law firm did nearly business for a hundred years in town. The house and the outbuildings have been restored and fitted out as a house museum.

x

x

 

x

x

x

A.M.E. Church

Ca.1961

The A.M.E. is the first church that was given recognition by President Paul Kruger in 1897. The AME South Africa has in its early years strong links with the church in United States where it was established by African Americans (Free Slaves).

Black communities were allowed to build their own churches in the townships. The AME building project in Potchefstroom, the North West Province to have been initiated and built by the black community. Members of the church congregation used their spare time and money to build the church and it was officially opened in 1961.  

The church was also in the 1970 and late 1980 a meeting place for the struggle. Meeting. However, the church boasts four murals painted by the  designer of the church Mr SIba Sebakwane and is undoubtedly a historical landmark. He dies in 2009.

x

x

 

x

x

x

Nederduitsch Hervormde Kerk (Church)

Ca.1859

The church itself was considerably changed during the nineties. The original cruciform church with earth floor and thatched roof was supplied with a tin roof with decorative cast iron horsemen and exceptional pointed spire. With the improvement of 1892 a plank floor, galleries, church pews, ceiling and proper lamps were put in. Later on an organ gallery was built, and a pipe organ imported from London and transported by train and ox-wagon. 

The building’s cornerstone was laid on 26 December 1859, but the building itself was consecrated on 25 February 1866. Building was interrupted in 1863-4 by the civil war during the absence of M.W. Pretorius, formerly ZAR president (1857-1860) and again later (1864-71).

The church was built in replacement of the first Hollandse Hervormde Church in the Transvaal, which was situated on the Northwest corner of Church Square. It was a rectangular building with a short extension on the one long end, a packed dirt floor and a thatched roof and was demolished by 1870.

x

x

 

x

x

x

King’s Hotel,

Ca.1902

The Bauman family erected a hotel in 1902 on the premises of the oldest building  business Pavey and Reid in Potchefstroom.

The hotel was stripped of its ornate beauty when the balcony and art of the veranda were walled in and much of the cast iron moulding removed. It hosted a motor rally event between Potchefstroom and Johannesburg from 1906 It was common rendezvous for sportsmen and visitors from all over South Africa

x

x

 

x

 

 

St. Mary’s Anglican Church,ca.1890

Situated in Auto Street. It is built of a stone foundation and it is the 2nd Anglican Church to be built in town. It has several beautiful stained glass windows and 3 entrances; has memorial plaques, both to benefactors of the church and to officers. Had a high-pitched thatched roof, lancet, windows and a mud floor and No. ceiling.  Built in 1890 and its consecration ceremony finally took place on 14 June1891.

The original design of the building was that of George Crone who was asked to resign after the collapse of the building’s arch of the choir section in August 1890. John William Gaisford, architect and member of the church took over. Gaisford was the first Potchefstromer known to have acted as architect. He was also responsible for the design of the Stock Exchange Building, which stood on the corner of Church and Lombard Streets.

Some residences have also been ascribed to him, as well as the building of the Armenschool (School for the Poor) at Vyfhoek (at present Kruger House of the Technical High School). The site was a replacement for the old church building in Church Street, which was sold and demolished in 1900.    

x

x

 

x

 

x

Berlin Missionary Complex,
ca.1875 

This building looked the same as the Berlin Mission Church in Pretoria: a small hall in “fortified” colonial Gothic Stylistic elements. It initially had a thatched roof, as well as a dung floor; the thatched roof was replaced by a tin roof in 1956 while a parquet floor and a gallery were added. Some smaller changes were also made since 1938 when the newly established Evangelical Lutheran Congregation came into being and used the Mission Church.

The site had its conceptualisation back in 1872 when the Berlin Mission Society started its activities on the Mooi River. Attempts by the first pastor, Wilhelm Moschutz, to build the church on the site south of New Market Square were met with disapproval by the townspeople. His successor, Pastor Bruno. Kohler managed in 1875 to pave way for the laying of the church’s cornerstone.

But he did not succeed in constructing a church building for blacks in the middle of the town. All the inhabitants of the town disapproved the move: there were even threats to close the building soon as it had been completed. The Gereformeerde Church Mooi Rivier is now using this site.

x

x

 

x

 

 

Hoër Volkskool
Ca.1927

 

Constructed by J.T. Halse, the cornerstone was laid on 10 June 1927. By 1935, on either of the decorative main entrance, three hostels had risen. Each group forms a unit, with gables and columns, which through dissimilar, supplement one another.

The Neo Cape Dutch architecture has been uninterruptedly followed and therefore stylistically in total contrast to the sober, late Edwardian main building. The Cape Dutch architecture was very popular in Potchefstroom during the late 1930s. Various homes have been built in this revivalist style. The school’s badge was designed by Koos Burger with the black colour influenced by the fact Oom Koos wore a black jacket. 

x

x

 

x

 

 

Boyd House,
Ca.1909 

 This grand Edwardian manor was erected in 1909. It was the residence of Dr. Allen Boyd who came to South Africa during the Anglo-Boer War. He worked extensively in the Vyfhoek Concentration Camp and was a respected and well-loved District Surgeon. The house was also used as a maternity hospital and it was the first family in Potchefstroom to have a car.

x

x

 

x

 

x

The W D Pretorius House,Ca.1853 

Willem Daniel Pretorius obtained this house and outbuildings – the residence of a farm adjacent to the town – in 1888. Extensions and changes to the house were started immediately. His initials and date (WDP- 1888) were inscribed on the front door of the new facade.

He was the great grand nephew of the president MW Pretorius. A small school was accommodated in one of the buildings, forerunner ML Fick Primary school. The Mooi Rivier Dutch Reformed Church was founded on these premises in 1917.

x

x

 

x

 

 

House of the Editor-Bate,ca. 1902

Situated across from the Methodist Church in Dr. James Moroka Avenue, formerly Lombard Street. It belonged to Charles Veale Bate who is the founder of the Herald Newspaper and owner for fifty years.

Bate was born on 1 August 1877 and came to Potchefstroom in October 1902, prior to this he was enlisted with the Rand Rifles and just before the close of the Boer War, he was given an appointment in Johannesburg to work with the ‘Milner Kindergarten’ and ‘the famous Nominated Town of Johannesburg’.

In 1934, C.V. Bate stood as candidate for the municipal election and was elected to the Town Council late in 1934 as the representative for Ward 3 – and later as a Deputy Mayor of Potchefstroom. 

x

x

 

x

 

x

The Snowflake
Silo Building,
Ca.1920. 

The Mill at the Silo, known as the Horsfall Milling Company was set in motion in 1921. The engine ran on steam and worked up to the time of the death of the owner, Mr. W.H. Horsfall in 1939. Soon afterwards the mills became an outlet of the South African Milling Company, which ran a large mill in Klerksdorp.

The Horsfall Mill was the first large industry in the town and the precursor of Potchefstroom Industria. The steam engines were made by Rushion Hornby. The mill had its own train siding with the number”748218”. It now used as an Art and Exhibition Centre.

x

x

 

x

 

 

The Principal’s Residence,

Ca.1930

NWU Rectors

Residence. 

It is Tudor-inspired home with magnificent gardens and a wall built around it. This thatched home exudes an air of romanticism, which makes it appear timeless. The building was erected in 1930 and originally housed a garage.

The petrol pumps were placed in the hollow veranda pillars and the original metal doors can still be seen. A well-known Potchefstroom businessman, A. Calderbank, had the house built in the twenties. Italian prisoners of war built the wall during the forties.

x

x

 

x

 

x

Strydom House 

The house was built in 1932 and was owned by the Mathematics teacher and vice-principal of the Gymnasium High School. It was designed by the Johannesburg architect, Nelly Edward.

x

x

 

x

 

 

The Stoffel Klopper House,ca.1934 

Belonged to one of the three brothers in the Klopper family, which also included two sisters. The eldest brother, C.S. Klopper, was mayor of Potchefstroom in 1933/34. As a boy, he assisted a medical doctor who tended sick women.

x

x

 

x

 

 

The Old Physics Building in Potchefstroom University, ca.1935

The building was erected in 1935. The construction of the building started in 1934 and was completed in 1935. The building is still intact and its exterior has never been changed since it was erected in 1934.

x

x

 

x

 

 

Totius House,ca.1905

It is a fine example of Edwardian style architecture, with its shuttered sash windows and wooden veranda. It is now a museum reflecting Totius’ life. The site came into use in 1905, like the Theological School Building. In design it is practically a replica of the professor’s residence in Burgersdorp. The first resident of the house was Prof. Jan Lion Cachet.

He was succeeded in 1911 by Jacob Daniel Du Toit (Totius) as professor at the Theological School. Totius and his family lived in the house until 1924, and at least four of his volumes of poetry were created while he lived there. Totius also started his work on Afrikaans translation of the Bible, a task he continued on a farm at Krugerskraal.

x

x

 

x

 

x

Town hall,
ca.1909 

It is a classic Edwardian building which consists of two parallel and independent components or wings, viz. the Town Hall with its facilities to the one side, and the municipal offices on the other. Its western façade is strictly symmetrical with an accentuated central axis, and the 26m high ornamented domed tower. 

It was designed in 1907 by the Cape Town firm of William Black and Fogg, and it was inaugurated on 10 March 1909. Together with the Town Hall in Krugersdorp, it is the oldest existing Town Hall in the Transvaal. The clockwork and bell with its Westminster (quarter hour) chimes, was manufactured by B. Eijsbouts in the Netherlands, and installed some moths after the inauguration of the building.

x

x

 

x

 

 

Old British Fort and Cemetery,ca.1887

Situated in Potchefstroom town & Town lands. It is an earthwork quadrilateral, west of Potch-Klerksdorp railway line and south of Potch-Klerksdorp main road. It was the largest & best-preserved fort of its period.

Its interior is approx. 18m E to W and 20m North to south, with bulges outwards on all sides, etc. The fort was built by British soldiers during the Anglo-Boer War in 1887.Mayor Clark started digging the Fort in 1881 and it was completed by colonel R W Wilson.

The British troops were besieged in the fort by the Boers for 95 days and a number of soldiers and civilians who died during the siege are buried in the adjoining cemetery. One of the well-known families also residing in the Fort was Mr Ulrich Forssman.

x

x

 

x

x

x

 Triomf (Knock) Fertilizer

Triomf Fertilizer Factory was built in 1968 and was owned by the famous white South African millionaire, Louis Luyt.

The factory was built on the township outskirts, and the majority of the Ikageng residents were employed there. There was a chemical explosion which killed a number of people in 19.

 

x

 

x

 

 

 

 

Old Police Station,ca.1902

The site is the first Police Station and was erected between 1935 and 1937. It replaced the Police Camp that had been situated since 1902, at the corner of Wolmarans and Kock Streets. Today the terrain is part of the Potchefstroom High School for Girls.

x

x

 

x

 

 

Van Heerden House/Rector’s Residence, ca.

1929

It was the first permanent building on the PU campus and was inaugurated in 1929. Previously, female students were housed in it, amongst others the galvanised iron building Genadendal (part of Radium Temples) and the residence Oakdene.

In 1934 the hostel was named after Prof. JAS van Heerden, first rector of the College. The hostel is a typical example of a building designed according the Department of Public Works’ strict standards of the time and the building material and construction methods bear testimony to quality of the highest order.

x

x

 

x

 

 

Bult Business Area,ca.1930

 

Until the 1930s there was no commercial activity on the Bult. The first (and for a long while the only) business on the Bult, was the small grocery shop run by Mr. Pretorius from his home in Molen Street, between Borcherd and Esselen Street. Mr. Pretorius also sold stamps and had a Post Box on his premises.

Later Mr. Huyzer opened a shop on the south-west corner of Tom and Borcherd Streets. A proper Post Office was opened next to his shop (probably where Karoo Flats are Now situated). Volkskas was the first bank on the Bult. At first the business functioned from an outbuilding behind the above-mentioned shop and the first building proper was opened in Tom Street in 1936.

An Indian shop was on the corner of Borcherd and van der Hoff Road. It belonged to Mr. Cassim, who sold mainly vegetables and sweets. Until late into 1930s few residents owned motorcars. A cab owned by an old-gentleman (possibly Mr. Kruger) on the corner of Esselen and Tom Street, was therefore in great demand.

x

x

 

x

 

 

Laerskool Mooirivier
ca.1902

 

Mooi River Primary School was founded in 1902 as part of the Teacher’s Training College. It was known as the Demonstration School because the students utilised it for their practical training. The school was housed in the Preparatory School (No..24). In 1937 it became a primary school in its own right, with the name Laerskool Mooirivier. After Potchefstroom Gymnasium moved to the new premises, Laerskool Mooirivier moved to the old buildings where it is still situated.

x

x

 

x

 

 

North Bridge,
Ca.1857

 

The first bridge built with tree trunks was erected over the Mooi River in 1857. The bridge would for many years serve as the one of the town’s most important entrances, as Potchefstroom was strategically placed on the trade route between North and South (By 1890 approximately 125 ox-wagons excluding Potchefstroom wagons and mail-coach passed through Potchefstroom daily).

Moreover, it was the only point except for the western-entrance – where the marshy and reed-filled river could be crossed safely. With time numerous watermills, a laundry and sawmill were erected in the vicinity. Between 1882 and 1896 toll was taken at the gate.

In 1890 the bridge was replaced with an iron bridge. The latter was demolished in 1963 after a wider bridge had been built next to it to accommodate the increasing traffic. Section of the bridge were incorporated in a bridge on the sports ground of the Teacher’s Training College. Some of the stones were used to erect the Tom Street (Steve Biko Ave) beacon.

x

x

x

 

 

 

Tlokwe Bantu Secondary School

 

Potchefstroom Bantu Secondary School was started in 1941 with Prof. Lekhela was the first principal. Due to the increasing number of students, the school was split into two; Lekhele became principal of the Tlokwe Protestant Bantu Secondary School and Mr. B.A. Seobi remained as principal of the Potchefstroom Bantu School.

When Bantu Education was introduced in the 1950s, some teachers, including Mr. Lekhele, resigned in protest against Bantu Education policies.

Between 1950 and 1951, he introduced the first class of matric with nine students. Only two students performed exceptionally well and this caused chaos. The government decided to revert to the old system, No. black person would go further than the J.C. (Junior Certificate). When Makweteng Native Location was moved to Ikageng in 1958, Tlokwe Protestant Bantu Secondary and Potchefstroom Bantu School became Tlokwe Secondary School.

Tlokwe started off at the present Paladi Higher Primary in 1958, and then they moved to the present Resolofetse High School premises in 1975. In 1989 the school moved to its present premises.

x

x

 

x

x

 

Potchefstroom Agricultural College ca.1909 

The history of Potchefstroom as an Agricultural Centre can be traced back to the time when President M.W. Pretorius was elected as the first Chairman of the Transvaal Society of Agriculture and Animal Husbandry.

In 1867, the third annual show, the Transvaal “Tentoonstelling van Landbouw en Veeteelt” was held in the town. Pretorius had his own small farm in the Potchefstroom district.

x

x

x

x

 

 

  

Devil’s corner
ca.1960

 

An open space which was and is still used by the Ikageng community/ residents for various functions. In the 1960s it was used by women of Ikageng and surrounding areas for fashion parade. It is presently used as a celebration venue for the Kaizer Chiefs Football Club.

The site’s Notorious part was when local gangsters used it as a paradise or hiding place. Notably it was utilised by local activists and organizations as a meeting place. As the busiest intersection in Ikageng, the community also uses it as a place to display their grievances.   

 

  x

 

 x

 

 

 x

 

No. 74 Lombard Street ,ca. 

No. 74 and 76 Lombard St are mirror images if each other they date back to about 1900.These houses (No. 72-76) are representative of the period in which they were built. Designed and build by William Gaisford

x

x

 

x

 

 

Architect House No. 76 Lombard Street Tlokwe

No. 74 and 76 Lombard St are mirror images if each other they date back to about 1900.These houses (No. 72-76) are representative of the period in which they were built.

x

x

 

x

 

 

 
 

This website designed and maintained by GSD Potch - The WEB people...  - www.gsdpotch.com

 

We recommend that you view this website with: MS IE 7+ of Google Chrome 1.0 or  Mozilla 4.0